Welcome!

This blog grows out of my conviction that every aspect of our lives is sacred and is to be nurtured and celebrated as a good gift of God. Most of the posts will be the sorts of things you would expect from a historian and worldview teacher, but some are likely to be a bit surprising. Since God created all things good, including all aspects of human life, everything is interesting and important from the perspective of a biblical worldview. Everything under the Sun and under Heaven is thus fair game here. I hope you find it interesting and enjoyable.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Today Matters


“The secret of your success is determined by your daily agenda.”

This statement sums up John C. Maxwell’s book, Today Matters: 12 Practices to Guarantee Tomorrow’s Success. Maxwell argues that success is built on making good decisions and then following through on those decisions daily with disciplined action. It's not an event, it's a process.

The book is organized around 12 areas where we need to make good decisions and follow through on them:

  1. Today’s ATTITUDE gives me possibilities.
  2. Today’s PRIORITIES give me focus.
  3. Today’s HEALTH gives me strength.
  4. Today’s FAMILY gives me stability.
  5. Today’s THINKING gives me an advantage.
  6. Today’s COMMITMENT gives me tenacity.
  7. Today’s FINANCES give me options.
  8. Today’s FAITH gives me peace.
  9. Today’s RELATIONSHIPS give me fulfillment.
  10. Today’s GENEROSITY gives me significance.
  11. Today’s VALUES give me direction.
  12. Today’s GROWTH gives me potential.

It is worth noting that there are a number of interesting connections between these 12 areas and the 24 character traits identified in positive psychology.

The book includes exercises to help you make decisions and manage them in each of these areas. A month spent on each (remember—it takes 21 days to establish a habit, and I think it’s a good idea to give it a bit more) will pay off tremendously in the long run. Even a week on each would be a good thing, though that might lead to trying to change too many things at once, which is a recipe for failure.

Today Matters is another way of highlighting the principles outlined in The Slight Edge and applying them systematically in a wider range of areas. I highly recommend both books.

1 comment: